Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Waitomo and Taupo

I left Rotorua early the next morning on a new bus with a different group of people. This bus is way more fun, the driver and the group of people are lovely.

On the way out of town we stopped off to do some activities. Some of the boys went zorbing and then about six of us did the swoop. The swoop is bascically a big sleeping bag that you are zipped into and hoisted 40m in the air. A cord is pulled then you are released into freefall then swing through the air! So much fun!

We arrived in Waitomo (which means water cave in Maori). The town is famous for its glow worm caves. The caves were flooded when we arrived so we just played ring of fire and went to the bar. The next morning the caves were fine so 5 of us went along to do the "abyss trip" through the caves. We changed into our very attractive wet suits and wellies and absailed down into the caves. Once in the caves we flew down a zip line where there was lots of water and the cave opened up. After a quick hot chocolate we got ourselves a tube and jumped into the freezing cold water. We all held onto each other, turned off our head lamps and floated through the gave looking at the glow worms. The glow worms are more like maggots and have a light in them to attract insects they live inside and outside caves but it was amazing to see them all glowing in the dark caves.

We then got out of the tubes and floated down a small waterfall. from here we just walked/swam throught he water and rocks. The guides who were with us were really cool and took lots of wicked pictures (which I will put on here when i have more time). One of them had to rescue me when we had to float uder a rock with only our mouth, eyes and nose above the water. I ended up going under the water and freaked out big time!!! We were in the caves for around three hours and it was amazing! One of the best things I have done so far becasue it was so different.

After a nice hot shower, we got on the bus to Taupo. Just as I was getting over my hangover we arrived in the town and went off to do a skydive!!! I have done it before but was still very nervous. We went up to 15,000 feet, the door opened and off I went. The freefall lasted fro 4mins whihc was amazing and when the parachue opened, the view was amazing and I even saw a rainbow.

We got to the hostel and I had a little nap before the group went out to do a pub quiz. I think this is the most crazy day I will EVER have!!!!

Today we walked for two hours up to the top of Mount Tahaura where you could see right accross New zealand. It was amazgin but muddy and tiring. I had another nap when I came back and now Im off for a few drinks before getting onto the bus to River Valley tomorrow morning.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment