Saturday, September 12, 2009

Franz Josef and Wanaka

After way to many drinks at the bar in Franz Josef, I had to get up at 8am to go and hike up a Glacier! After putting on our sexy waterproofs, we had to walk for an hour just to get to the Glacier. We then attatched crampons to our boots and set off hiking up the Glacier. It was beautiful but a lot of hard work. We had to climb up very big steps and squeeze through tiny gaps. It was freezing cold and we kept getting bits of rain all day but I went in the slower group and our gide was very good. We were on the ice for about 6 hours and it was amazing!
Then I fell down.....

not really! But it was cold trying to do this photo!!

I was very tired after the day of hiking so had a quiet night before getting up to head to Wanaka. On the way we stopped for a short walk to a big waterfall which was nice. There was also an illusion where if you stare into the middle of the water then look away, the trees begin to move. Very strange!

We then arrived in Wanaka which is a beautiful little town by the lake. The sun was shining so I had a nice milkshake and read my book by the lake. I then cooked food for the first time as I realised I'm spending way too much money! We then went to the bar as there was a sweep stake on the rugby. Unfortunatly I didn't win and neither did the all Blacks!

Before we left this morning, we stopped off at puzzling world which, like the name suggests, is full of illusions and puzzles. I tried walking around the maze but got confused and bored so ended up exiting via the emergency exit! The illusions were really cool and really messed with your head.

I am now in Queesntown which seems like a pretty cool place. This is the view from my dorm window!


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment