Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fraser Island and the Whitsundays

I left Hervy bay early on Monday morning in a 4x4 and headed to Frser island. The tour was a self drive tour so after food and alcohol shopping and collecting campiong gear, a group of seven of us got into the car and drove to the ferry. There was only three of us the group that had valid driving licenses so I ended up being one of the designated drivers. Arrrgghhh!! I havn't driven in such a long time! Our first driver was a German guy and he was very good. The island is just sand so as soon a we got off the ferry, we hd to drive through a lot of soft sand whihc made for a very bumpy ride. The drive itself is amazing as we were driving along a neautiful beach by the waves.

After swimming in a creek and looking at a shipwrek we headed for the campsite and set up our tents. Soon after, the sausages and cheap wine were flowing and we played drinking games, sang to the guitar and were taught how to play the didgeridoo by an aboriginal man.


The next day, I as feeling very hungover and covered in scratches from walking through the bush in the middle ofthe night. However, we got back in the car and went for a swim in a place called Champagne pools. After lunch, we went to a point called Indian head where we walked up soem cliffs to see whales, dolphins and manta ray swimming in the ocean. It was so beautiful.


The water in the camp had run out so noboady could have showers the next morning! his wasn't to much of a problem as we quickly packed up our tents etc and drove to Lake Mcenzie. This is a huge fresh water lake with lovely white sand. W spent quite a few hours chilling here as it was like paradise. We had to head back to ferry after this and I decided to hav a quick drive of the 4x4! I didn't kill anyone but only lasted 15mins as I couldn't drive in the dry sand. I had such an amazing time on the island. The camping and driving was an experience, the sights of the island are just beautiful and the group of people in my car were a lot of fun. I was sad to leave and definately reccomend this trip!

As soon as we got back to the mainland, I got on a 12hour nightbus to Airlie beach. The journey wasn't too bad as I had two seats to myself and managed to get some sleep. As soon as the bus arrived, I had to check in with the sailing company that I sailed the Whitsunday islands with. I just had time to pack a small bag and buy some goon (cheap wine) before boarding the boat. The boat was lovely and it was only a small, quiet group of us so it wasvery chilled out. We spent the whole of the first day sailing to a cove where we would sleep for the night. All meals are provided so we had a lovley dinner and some wine! We were allowed to sleep up on the deck, so we all dragged matresses and sleeping bags up and played soem drinking games before going to sleep under the stars.

It was an early start the next morning as we woke up with the sun. We had some breakfast whilst sailing over to Whitehaven Beach. We were take dover to the beach in a smaller speed boat and spent 3 0r 4 hours there swimming and chilling. The beach and water is amazing and when you walk up to the viewpoint, the view is like a beautiful postcard scene. There were many fish swimming with us in the clear water. We then got back on the boat and sailed over to Hook Island where we went snorkelling. The water was lovely and I saw a turtle and a family of clown fish (Nemo)! The last day we did some ver early morning snokelling again before heading back to Airlie beach. The trip was lovely and I now want to own a sailing boat!

Airlie beach is not really known for its beach but it has a beautiful lagoon that you can swim in and is a bit of a party town. So, after some afternoon swimming, a group of us from the boat went to investigate the bars and clubs. I had a really fun night as there is a great atmosphere here and I saw some people I met on Fraser Island and in New Zealand. The fact that there was twelve teams of hot footballers in town also helped!

Today Frankie left as she has less time than me and had to get up to Cairns as soon as possible. I will prob see her again when I get to Carins though which will be nice. I am now off to sunbathe by the lagoon and prepare for another night out with the footballers!

xxx

P.S It is that hot here that I have had to stop caring about looking stupid and buy a hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment